After a night of tossing and turning or not getting to bed until way after your usual bedtime, we feel like we have to drag ourselves out of bed. Hitting snooze and gulping coffee helps, but there are a few easy things you can do to boost your energy levels and your mood, too.
Peloton instructor Ally Love shares the quick and easy tricks she uses to get herself going in the morning when she needs a pick-me-up.
- Start your day with a yoga pose – Getting your blood pumping first thing can help wake you up. Love recommends easing into the day with a yoga pose like downward dog or forward fold as soon as you get up.
- Add a shot of cold to your shower – We all love our steamy showers, but ending it with a cold splash can increase alertness and awakeness. Love suggests starting with 15-seconds of cold water at the end of your shower, then working your way up to a minute to really reinvigorate.
- Have a protein-rich breakfast – Skip the bacon and try Love’s power breakfast of eggs with cottage cheese and either cayenne pepper or mustard pepper. The protein will help keep energy levels stable and keep you from crashing later in the day.
- Get dressed to heart pumping music – When you’re getting ready in the morning, blast some of your favorite tunes to boost your mood.
- Wear a bright outfit – Love uses colorful clothing to boost her mood, like bright pink, red and yellow.
- Write down your intentions for the day – “Write down the one thing you want to get done or a word to carry you today, or even one thing you like about yourself,” she says. You can write in a notebook, on your phone or share it in your Instagram stories to hold yourself accountable.