We recently told you about WalletHub’s list of the best places to retire, which names Tampa, Florida as the number one spot. And now, “U.S. News & World Report” has released their annual list on the subject and they have a much different take.
- Their 2024 Best Places to Retire ranking evaluates the country’s 150 largest metropolitan areas based on how well they meet Americans’ expectations for retirement.
- The metro areas are rated on factors including affordability, health care, desirability, retiree taxes, job market and overall happiness.
- Pennsylvania dominates the top 10 this year, claiming seven of the spots.
- The number one place to retire in 2024 is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, up from number two last year.
- It wins thanks to its scores on health care for seniors, retiree tax rates and overall happiness of its residents.
- Florida, once considered the destination for retirement, only has one city in the top 10, Daytona Beach at number eight. But the Sunshine State still has six cities in the top 25, down from nine last year.
Top 10 Best Places to Retire in 2024
(See the full rankings here)
- Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- Reading, Pennsylvania
- Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Allentown, Pennsylvania
- New York City, New York
- York, Pennsylvania
- Daytona Beach, Florida
- Youngstown, Ohio
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Source: U.S. News & World Report