While a wedding is supposed to be the happiest day for a couple, that was not the case for one bride who was so appalled by a stunt her new husband pulled at their wedding she almost immediately asked for a divorce.
A woman recently wrote in to Slate’s “Dear Prudence” column to get feedback as to whether she’s overreacting to what her husband did at their wedding. She said when they were planning the wedding she told “my only hard-and-fast rule was that he would not rub cake in my face at the reception.” Well, he didn’t do that, but he actually did worse. “Instead, he grabbed me by the back of the head and shoved my head down into it, “ she writes. “It was planned since the cake was DESTROYED, and he had a bunch of cupcakes as backup.”
She says the day after the wedding, “I told him we were done.” She says she’s standing by her decision, but now everyone is trying to convince her to give him a “second chance,” and says she’s “overreacting,” because of her issues, which is that she’s claustrophobic, with the bride explaining, “I absolutely panicked at being shoved into a cake and held there.”
The OP insists she doesn’t want to give him another chance, but so many people are so confident that she should she is wondering if she’s “making a terrible mistake.”
- Prudence assures the bride she needs to listen to herself, calling his behavior a “red flag,” since he was “not respecting you and your wishes.” Prudence adds, “Make a mental note about which of your loved ones don’t seem to value your happiness, and continue with your divorce.
- The letter also went viral with plenty of folks on social media chiming in with their thoughts.
- “Not cool, doubt this was his first red flag but it should definitely be the last. RUN,” one person commented.
- While another added, “It seems to me like him stating from the start that he doesn’t care about how she feels or what she asks for, so I’m team divorce for sure.”
- Finally, another noted, “She set a clear boundary and he violated it. She’s right to dump his a**.”